Life and Death (repost)

A repost. (edited)


I pull the covers across my face, hiding from the dark. ‘What was that sound? Did I hear footsteps?’  Branches scratch the window. I peek. A shadow moves and, though alone, I sense… a presence. Trembling, I pray for protection and, after awhile, drift into sleep … and nightmares.

That was my life before Christ. Death lurked around each corner – car crash, choke on a burger, get cancer or hit by random flying debris … at any moment I could die.

Praise God, I’m free of that constant fear.

I do think on death often though. I’m not watching shadows, brooding or wringing my hands, but I don’t know how many days I have, so am I making the best of today? If I would die tomorrow, would I be pleased with how I invested today? The way I spoke to my kids and husband? The way I thought, prayed, acted?

Did I waste today?

Sound depressed or pessimistic? I hope not. I hope you see focus, motivation and purpose – that’s exactly what happens when I think about life, death and eternity.  Maybe that’s why Ecclesiastes says “A wise man thinks about death, but a fool only thinks about pleasure.”

To Think About Death Does a Few Things:

·   Humbles me – I can not continue to believe and act as though it’s all about me when it’s clear that I control neither my beginning nor end.
·   Aligns Priorities – If I die next week, what would quickly disappear from my list of things to do? Suddenly my time, words and energy begin to align with God’s priorities.
·   Eternity-Minded - My actions and choices have eternal impact. Suddenly everyone is an eternal being, not just an ‘annoying neighbor’ or a relative to ‘put up with’. Everyone walks toward eternity daily. Do I help or hinder their progress toward Jesus?
·   Motivates – If this is my last week with my children; what would I want them to know? I want to help guide them into an eternity with Jesus! I don’t know about you, but it sure lights a fire under me to do all I can right now!

No, I don’t get it right every day or even every week. I waste time and squirm from responsibility with the best of them. The more we seek God though, the more we live for Him.
“Break my heart for what breaks yours. All that I am for your kingdom’s cause As I walk this earth into Eternity.*” – Amen!

Some Helpful Verses:
“The heart of the wise is in the house of mourning,
       but the heart of fools is in the house of pleasure.”
Ecclesiastes 7:4 (NIV)

“It is better to go to a house of mourning 
than to go to a house of feasting,
       for death is the destiny of every man; 

the living should take this to heart.”
Ecclesiastes 7:2 (NIV)

“Rescue those being led away to death; 
hold back those staggering toward slaughter.”
Proverbs 24:11 (NIV)
* Lyrics from ‘Hosanna’ by Hillsong


You can also read this in the Sanctified Together online publication

No comments: