God Over Logic

Squeaks from the red metal wagon echo through the garage. He tows it around boxes and dump trucks. He pulls the long black handle to make a sharp turn, and a wheel gets stuck behind the leg of a chair. He pulls harder. He tugs faster, harder, but the wheel stays stuck. “Mommy, what’s going on?” he asks. “Do you want help?” I confirm. “Yes please.”
“Okay. Move the handle back to where it was, push the wagon back, and it will come out.” His puzzled look seems to say “What does that have to with anything? It’s not the handle or the wagon that’s stuck, it’s the wheel!” Moving the handle back also seems backwards, undoing his progress thus far. When he takes my advice though, the wagon is released and he can move again.

I could see the whole picture. I knew what would happen if he would follow my advice. He just needed to believe me.

God’s instructions sometimes don’t seem to make any sense. Without seeing the plan or reason behind his guidance, I doubt Him and make excuses. “What if it’s not really God I’m hearing?” “What if I’m wrong?” “I’m not comfortable, so it can’t be right” “I don’t feel like it” “My way is faster”. (or, my favorite, ‘that’s insane!’) If I think on these excuses long enough, it results in disobedience.

When I have chosen to obey – even if it made no sense, I was blessed and grew in faith and closeness to God. Every time I obeyed, it glorified him. And why wouldn’t it? – That’s his promise! “… He guides me along right paths, bringing honor to his name” Psalm 23:3

God can see the whole picture. He knows what will happen if we follow his leading. He has great blessings for us on the other side of obedience. We just need to believe Him.


“For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord.
“They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope”
Jeremiah 29:11

“For God is working in you, giving you the desire to obey him
and the power to do what pleases him”
Philippians 2:13

“Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take”
Proverbs 3:5,6

No comments: