Woman In Training – Knowing the Difference

Recently I was reading a book that seemed to hit home run after home run ... and then it directly contradicted the Bible.  It got me wondering what other things this author had said that were inaccurate and whether I would recognize it or not. 

“For someone who lives on milk is still an infant and
doesn’t know how to do what is right. Solid food is for those
who are mature, who through training have the
skill to recognize the difference between right and wrong
Hebrews 5:13, 14

I was intrigued when I read this. I’ve been asking questions like…

-Can I be deceived out of my salvation?

-How can I know the difference between right and wrong?

-How can I know I’m doing a good deed out of good motives or bad?

(After all, ‘The human heart is the most deceitful of all things, and desperately wicked. Who really knows how bad it is?’ Jeremiah 17:9)


To read these words from Hebrews then gave me hope. Sure, I may be an infant now who doesn’t know how to do what is right sometimes, but ‘through training’ I can come to know the difference.

So what does it look like to go ‘through training’ and acquire ‘the skill to recognize the difference between right and wrong’?



Here's what I found in the Bible related to 'training'

Putting On God’s Armor:

“A final word: Be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on all of God’s armor so that you will be able to stand firm against all strategies of the devil. For we are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places.

 Therefore, put on every piece of God’s armor so you will be able to resist the enemy in the time of evil. Then after the battle you will still be standing firm. Stand your ground, putting on the belt of truth and the body armor of God’s righteousness. For shoes, put on the peace that comes from the Good News so that you will be fully prepared. In addition to all of these, hold up the shield of faith to stop the fiery arrows of the devil. Put on salvation as your helmet, and take the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.


 Pray in the Spirit at all times and on every occasion. Stay alert and be persistent in your prayers for all believers everywhere.” Ephesians 6:10-18


God’s discipline:

No discipline is enjoyable while it is happening—it’s painful! But afterward there will be a peaceful harvest of right living for those who are trained in this way.” Hebrews 12:11

“To learn, you must love discipline; it is stupid to hate correction.” Proverbs 12:1


Obedience:

“If you love me, obey my commandments.” John 14:15

 “But anyone who hears my teaching and doesn’t obey it is foolish, like a person who builds a house on sand” Matthew 7:26

“They demonstrate that God’s law is written in their hearts, for their own conscience and thoughts either accuse them or tell them they are doing right.” Romans 2:15


Faith in Action:

“Learn to do good. Seek justice. Help the oppressed. Defend the cause of orphans. Fight for the rights of widows.” Isaiah 1:17

“If you are wise and understand God’s ways, prove it by living an honourable life, doing good works with the humility that comes from wisdom.” James 3:13

“Just as the body is dead without breath, so also faith is dead without good works.” James 2:26

                                                    _________________________


“Lord, thank you for this encouragement to keep learning and for this ‘fire under my butt’ to seek you like crazy. I do not want to be deceived, and thank you for leaving us your Truth and Spirit. Help me to train like an athlete. Help me to cling to you desperately until the end of my life. Help me be faithful to the end. God, give me eyes to see the difference between right and wrong, truth and lies, and please give me a heart that wants to please you and follow you.”

.

2 comments:

Sharon said...

Kim - Very powerful and so well-spoken. I truly believe that seeking the Lord in His Word is the best way to let His wisdom sink into our spirits. And that wisdom, coupled with His power, will enable us to STAND FIRM.

Seek Him like crazy - I love that!

GOD BLESS!

Susan DiMickele said...

Thanks for this encouragement, and thanks for stopping by my blog!